The Baltimore County Police Memorial Service will be held on Friday May 10, 2013 At 10:00am in front of the Police Memorial in Patriots Plaza in Towson. We will honor the eight officers have lost their lives in the line-of-duty in the history of this department.
A reception will be held at FOP Lodge #4, 9304 Harford Road 21234 immediately following.
In lasting memory of those officers and families who made the ultimate sacrifice. Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God. Matthew 5:9
- Officer Edward Kuznar
- On December 9, 1969, Officer Edward Kuznar died as a result of a traffic accident. While on patrol near Kingsville, his vehicle was struck head-on by another vehicle that crossed the center line and struck his vehicle. The accident killed both Officer Kuznar and the driver of the other vehicle.
- Officer Charles Huckeba
- Officer Charles Huckeba was gunned down on July 6, 1977 in the Precinct1/Wilkens area while police were attempting to talk an armed, drug abusing man who was barricaded in his family’s home into surrendering.
- Corporal Samuel Snyder
- In August of 1983, Corporal Samuel Snyder, a thirty-year veteran of the department, was shot by a deranged subject while responding to a call for assistance from fellow officers in Towson. Corporal Snyder died on August 23, 1983 as a result of his wounds.
- Officer Robert Zimmerman
- On November 5, 1986, Officer Robert Zimmerman was struck by a vehicle and critically injured while on foot patrol on Edmondson Avenue. Officer Zimmerman died nine days later on November 14, 1986 as a result of his injuries.
- Sergeant Bruce Prothero
- On February 7, 2000, Sergeant Bruce Prothero , a married father of five, was working part time as a security guard at a jewelry store on Reisterstown Road when four armed men robbed the store. When Sergeant Prothero followed the robbers out of the store, he was shot twice and died an hour later as a result of his wounds.
- Officer John Stem
- Officer John Stem was shot on July 6, 1977 in the Precinct1/Wilkens area while police were attempting to talk an armed, drug abusing man who was barricaded in his family’s home into surrendering. Officer Stem died on October 19, 2000 of complications of paraplegia caused by his line of duty wounds. Officer Charles Huckeba was also fatally wounded during the same incident.
- Sergeant Mark Parry
- On December 27, 2001 Sergeant Mark Parry was on patrol in Towson when a drunk driver struck his unmarked police vehicle. The driver fled the scene and was arrested a short distance away. Sergeant Parry died on January 21, 2002 from injuries he sustained in that motor vehicle accident.
- Lieutenant Michael Howe
- On the morning of August 10, 2008, Lieutenant Michael Howe was with his tactical unit at the scene of a murder-suicide in Precinct 4/Pikesville. When he returned home after the incident, he suffered a massive stroke and was taken to the hospital. He died on August 11