There is an effort to overturn the General Assembly’s recent repeal of the death penalty by petitioning the bill to referendum. To get this issue on the ballot for the voters to decide in the next election will require 55,736 valid signatures. The deadlines are listed below. If you want this issue on the ballot in the next election, and you are a registered voter in Maryland, you can download the petition at mdpetitions.com
2013 Statewide Referendum Petition Filing
An act of the General Assembly can be placed on the 2014 General Election ballot by the submission of petitions containing at least 55,736 signatures of Maryland registered voters.
- Wednesday, May 1, 2013– Deadline for requesting advance determination of sufficiency of referendum petition format.
- Friday, May 31, 2013 at 11:59 pm– Deadline for filing one-third of the required number of signatures (18,579) with the Secretary of State.
- Thursday, June 20, 2013– Deadline to verify and count the signatures on the referendum petition.
- Monday, June 24, 2013– Deadline to certify the results of the first submission of the required signatures.
- Sunday, June 30, 2013 at 11:59 pm– Deadline for filing the balance of the required number of signatures (37,157) with the Secretary of State.
- Saturday, July 20, 2013– Deadline to verify and count the signatures on the referendum petition.
- Tuesday, July 23, 2013– Deadline to certify the results of the full referendum petition verification.