BALTIMORE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
TOBACCO COMPLIANCE SPECIALIST
The Baltimore County Department of Health and Human Services is hiring mature adults for Tobacco Compliance Specialist (TCS) positions. TCSs conduct compliance checks with youth under the age of 18 at licensed tobacco retailers. TCSs may on occasion conduct education visits at retail locations. TCS positions work two 4 ½ hour evenings per week and must be available one day each month for possible hearings. Saturday morning shifts may be available also.
TCSs are responsible for overseeing the youth, observing the transaction, issuing citations, and conducting retailer education on youth access to tobacco. They must be available one day each month to testify at an Administrative hearing for citations issued.
- Positions are classified as Special Payroll, non-merit.
- Compensation for retirees of the Baltimore County Police Department is $25.00/ hour
- Must pass a background check and Child Protective Services check
- Must have an excellent driving record
- Ability to effectively communicate with tobacco retailers, giving clear direction about paying fines or presenting their case at a hearing
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively educate the tobacco retailer on youth access laws, such as examining the identification of a tobacco purchaser
- Ability to lead the youth on the inspection team, giving guidance and direction when conducting compliance checks
- Ability to de-escalate confrontational individuals
- Experience working with youth
- Ability to clearly write citations and correction notices
- Ability to testify at hearings
Interested applicants should contact:
Victoria Keller at 410-887-3828 or email@example.com