Bodies of two Ocean City police officers recovered from plane crash

Maryland State Police divers on Monday recovered the bodies of two Ocean City police officers from the wreckage of a small plane crash a half-mile off the shore of Ocean City.

Thomas J. Geoghegan Jr., 43, of Ocean City, and Joshua D. Adickes, 27, of Berlin, were identified as the victims in Sunday’s crash near 130th Street.

Both served as police officers with the Ocean City Police Department, according to state police.

The bodies were taken by a U.S. Coast Guard vessel for preliminary forensic examination and then to the medical examiner’s officer for autopsies, state police said.

Geoghegan owned the Nanchang CJ-6A, and was piloting while Adickes was seated behind him in the only other passenger seat on the aircraft, when they took off from the Ocean City Municipal Airport between 3:30 p.m. and 3:45 p.m. Sunday. Their destination is not known at this time.

The plane was located about 30 feet below the water surface about one-quarter mile off the beach from 130th Street, state police said.

Crews on Sunday were forced to call off the search about 9 p.m. due to hazardous conditions. Recovery efforts resumed around 9 a.m. Monday. Divers fought rough waters but were able locate and recover the victims.

Investigators said no flight path for the plane was filed, State Police spokesman Greg Shipley said.

Flight instructor Brian Seeba, who is based at the Ocean City airport, said generally, Nanchang CJ-6A models are built overseas and typically used for flight instruction and enjoyment – and not trips of any distances.

The crash was one of a few single-engine plane crashes that have taken place in June, according to reports. On Saturday, two people walked away unharmed from a crash in Tulsa when the plane’s landing gear didn’t lock in place on approach. On June 23, two people died in a crash near the Boulder City Airport in Nevada.

National Transportation Safety Board and Federal Aviation Administration officials will be investigating the cause of the crash.

Baltimore Sun reporter Jessica Anderson contributed to this story.

Comments are closed.