Elkton Man Fatally Shot After Confronting State Troopers With Swords

… Man was also carrying air rifle, BB gun …


Baltimore Sun staff

11:49 AM EST, January 8, 2011

Maryland State Police said they shot and killed a Cecil County man Friday night who they said confronted troopers with swords and what appeared to be a rifle and a handgun.

According to a release from the Maryland State Police, Jason E. Honaker, 25, of the 700 block of West Pulaski Highway in Elkton, was pronounced dead after undergoing surgery at Christiana Hospital in Wilmington, Del. State police said the man pulled a short, curved martial arts-type sword while he was less than 10 feet away from state troopers, and one officer, fearing for his life, shot him with a handgun.

Honaker called state police, the release said, and told an officer that police must come to his apartment or he would kill his neighbor. Two officers, identified as Trooper First Class Matthew Telep and Trooper Brian Schweers, arrived at the scene and were met by Honaker’s girlfriend.

Police said the woman told them Honaker was armed with “swords and guns” and had consumed a pint of vodka, then led them to a bedroom where he was located. Troopers ordered him to come out, and when he emerged, police said, he was carrying a two-foot sword and what appeared to be a rifle. Police later determined the gun to be an air rifle.

Honaker also had another sword and what appeared to be a handgun tucked into his waistband, police said. The handgun was later found to be a BB gun that police said “closely resembled a real handgun.”

Honaker was ordered to drop his weapons, police said, and a preliminary investigation suggested that he threw the sword and the air rifle toward the troopers. Police said he did not obey commands to drop the other weapons and put his hands in the air, and pulled out a an 18-inch sword. Telep then shot Honaker, according to the release, “in fear for his life and the life of his fellow trooper.”

Honaker had been arrested on Dec. 23 for assaulting his girlfriend, who is now more than eight months pregnant, police said. She obtained an interim protective order against him, according to the release, then did not appear for a hearing on the protective order. The case was dismissed. Telep, a four-year veteran, and Schweers, who has been a trooper for more than two years, have been placed on administrative leave as the investigation continues, according to procedure.

Copyright © 2011, The Baltimore Sun

Comments are closed.