HARFORD COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Sheriff L. Jesse Bane
Mission Statement: With courage, honor, and integrity we protect the rights and dignity of all citizens. In partnership with our communities, we strive to preserve the peace and provide for a safe environment for all.
Vacancy #: 11-S13
Title: Courthouse Security (Eligibility List)
Closing Date: December 7, 2011
Salary: $18.38 Per Hour (No Benefits)
Location: Harford County Courthouse
Hours: Full-Time, Shift Varies
Job Summary: Employee is responsible for the physical security of facilities under the purview of the Sheriff. Employee maintains a uniformed presence in the various buildings and/or hearings as assigned in order to deter crime and maintain a safe working environment for court personnel.
Patrol facilities, field phone inquiries regarding Sheriff’s Office services, provide entrance security and security at various public hearings, and make security checks;
- Assist with courtroom security and the transportation of prisoners to and from Circuit Court;
- Inform and direct the public on matters pertaining to the Sheriff’s Office;
- Direct and Assist in building evacuations during emergencies and administering first aid when necessary;
- Attends meetings and participates in various teams when needed; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to act as a representative of the Sheriff’s Office to the public;
- Knowledge of standard practices and equipment common to maintaining the security of premises;
- Knowledge of common fire hazards and fire equipment together with the ability to use such equipment;
- Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively to determine proper courses of action;
- Ability to deal firmly, tactfully and courteously with the public;
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
- Ability to maintain a pleasant and productive working atmosphere; and
- Ability to work various hours, to include day and evening and weekend assignments.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
Applicant must be a law enforcement officer currently holding certification with the Maryland Police and Corrections Training Commission; OR
- Retired from a law enforcement agency, within the past three (3) years, in good standing and eligible to be re-certified (without comparative compliance) as a police officer by the Maryland Police and Corrections Training Commission.
- Graduation from a high school recognized by the Maryland State Board of Education or possession of a GED certificate recognized by the Maryland Board of Education.
- Valid Class D or Class C non-commercial driver’s license with no more than three (3) points and a relatively clean driving record.
Must be 21 years of age or older and U.S. citizen.
- Must pass comprehensive background investigation and criminal record check; medical exam and drug/alcohol screening; polygraph exam; and psychological screening.
- Must provide handwriting sample for review.
- Must appear before and receive a favorable recommendation from Oral Interview Board.
- Must possess a history and exhibit the characteristics of honesty, reliability, integrity, and interpersonal skills. Any criminal conviction(s) and/or arrest(s) may be grounds for disqualification.
Physical and Environmental Conditions: Candidate selected for position must perform essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Position requires standing, sitting, and walking and periodic exposure to outside weather conditions. Position requires occasional encounters with unruly persons.
Application may be accompanied by a resume, but a resume will not be accepted in lieu of an application. Application may be obtained from the Harford County Sheriff’s Office, 45 S. Main Street, Bel Air, MD 21014 or call 410-836-5456 or toll-free 877-562-3888. Application may also be downloaded from the Harford County Sheriff’s Office website, http://www.harfordsheriff.org/employment/
Application must be returned to the Harford County Sheriff’s Office Recruitment Unit no later than December 7, 2011. If mailing application, please send to Julie Oakes, P.O. Box 150, Bel Air, MD 21014.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
WE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF DISABILITY
Posted November 9, 2011
NOTE: Harford County Government no longer accepts e-mail or paper applications/resumes. All applications must be submitted through our online application system – NEOGOV.
Please visit our website at www.harfordcountymd.gov and go to employment for current job openings and to create a user account for an online application.
If you have any questions regarding our on-line application system please contact Sarah Selle at 410-638-3302.
Sarah E. Selle
Human Resources Specialist