Officer Remains Hospitalized After Being Shot

Sunday, March 20, 2011 – Anne Kramer, Robert Lang, Jenny Glick and the Associated Press
A Baltimore police officer remains in serious but stable condition Sunday morning after he was shot in the neck Friday night.

Police say the six year veteran officer approached a man on a bicycle who the officer thought was armed and that is when the suspect shot the officer.

Commissioner Frederick Bealefeld said three city detectives were patrolling in an unmarked police car about 7:30 p.m. Friday when they spotted a man on a bicycle on Harford Road and became suspicious that he might be armed.

“When he turned back toward the suspect, the suspect was armed with a silver-colored .32-caliber revolver and opened fire,” Bealefeld said.

Police believe the first shot fired by the man struck the officer. The two other officers returned fire, critically wounding the man, the police commissioner said.

The 30-year-old officer was struck in the neck and the bullet lodged in the officer’s right lung, the commissioner said outside the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he spoke to reporters after visiting the officer along with Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake.

The mayor said the detective was in “unbelievably good spirits.”

“I told the parents who were here, they certainly raised a tough son,” the mayor said. “He is alert, he is talking, his family is here and we are very hopeful for a positive outcome.”

Bealefeld said the detectives are part of a violent crimes unit and were patrolling the east Baltimore community because of the frequency of violence there. The police commissioner said the officers were in an unmarked car, but were wearing body armor that indicated they were police officers.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi told WBAL News that the officer remains in Shock Trauma, and is expected to survive.  He says the suspect remains in critical condition at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Guglielmi says the suspect was carrying identification that apparently was not his, so police are still trying to determine the man’s identity.

Comments are closed.