Police Say Wounded City Officer Returned Fire After Hit by Accidental Discharge from Colleague

… Shooting of city officer in Arundel raid still under investigation …


By Peter Hermann

11:04 AM EST, December 6, 2011

A Baltimore City police officer wounded when a colleague accidentally fired his gun inside a house in Odenton on Tuesday returned fire at the “perceived threat,” according to new information from authorities in Anne Arundel County.

The city officer, who was struck in the arm, “fired several rounds in response to the perceived threat,” according to a statement released this morning that offers new details of the shooting and backs what an occupant of the house has told reporters.

Police had gone to the house in the 100 block of Pine Cove Ave. in Odenton searching for a drug suspect. They arrested the man, Vernon Andre Jackson, 38, of the 5400 block of Cedar Lane in Columbia, outside the residence.

While members of a multi-jurisdictional warrant apprehension task force were searching inside the home, police said an officer assigned to Baltimore County accidentally fired his weapon. Police said a detective from the city, wounded from a through and through wound to the arm, returned fire.

No one was hit but the occupant of the home showed Baltimore Sun reporter Andrea Siegel four bullet holes in a wall opposite the front entrance. The storm door to the home had been broken and a sliding glass door inside the house was shattered.

The woman declined to give her name but said the suspect was a friend of the family who frequently checked up on her. The woman said she knew nothing about drugs in the home. The officers are assigned to the Maryland State Police High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area task force.

Jackson was charged with possessing marijuana and possessing drugs with intent to distribute. He was released on $15,000 bail early today, according to electronic court records. Police said they found him with 27 pounds of marijuana with an estimated street value of $244,910.

Copyright © 2011, The Baltimore Sun

Comments are closed.