Six Arrested as Police Cleared Harbor Area after Stabbings of 2 Teens

… Investigators review cameras near downtown intersection where boys injured …

By Yeganeh June Torbati, The Baltimore Sun

10:37 PM EDT, April 26, 2011

At least six people were arrested Monday night as police were called from across Baltimore to help disperse a crowd at the Inner Harbor, shortly after two teenage boys were stabbed several blocks away, according to the department.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi described those arrested as facing minor charges for non-violent offenses and said they were not connected to the stabbings. He said about 100 teens came to the harbor after Easter Sunday, on one of the last days of Spring Break for city students.

“At the end of the day the police department is going to do whatever it takes to keep downtown and the entire city safe,” Guglielmi said. “On this occasion, we brought in additional resources from other districts and were able to shepherd individuals out of the downtown area and encourage them to go home.”

Guglielmi could not say exactly how many police were called to the downtown area. A police helicopter flew overhead, and cruisers blocked intersections with their lights flashing.

Police described the stabbing victims as a 15-year-old and a 16-year-old boy. They were attacked shortly before 10 p.m. as walked with a group of friends near East Baltimore and North Calvert streets, according to a statement one of the teens made to police, Guglielmi said.

The 15-year-old, who was stabbed multiple times in the shoulder and right leg, was taken by his family to Maryland Shock Trauma Center. He told police about five or six teenagers attacked him and his friends as they walked along East Baltimore Street. He described the person who stabbed him as a stocky, shirtless 17-year-old.

Police found the 16-year-old victim at North Gay and East Fayette streets. Police said he was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Police said they are reviewing CityWatch camera footage to gather more information on stabbings and other melees that broke out Monday night. Police said a fight broke out in McKeldin Square, Light and Pratt streets, about 8:30 p.m. Most of the crowd had cleared out of the downtown area by 11 p.m., Guglielmi said.

Some who witnessed the crowd and the police response posted messages on the social-networking website Twitter describing what they had seen. Some described the scene as a mob, or as “hoards of teens,” and as scary.

Police would only describe it as a “crowd.”

Copyright © 2011, The Baltimore Sun

Comments are closed.