Woman Carjacked In Baltimore, Jumps Out On DC Beltway

Thursday, July 14, 2011 – Steve Fermier
Police say a mother holding a 20-month-old baby jumped out of her car while it was being driven by a carjacker on the Capital Beltway in Bethesda.

Maryland State Police say the 24-year-old mother suffered a cut on her head, and the baby was not hurt.

The suspect, 22-year-old Terron Alvin White of Baltimore, was charged with fleeing and eluding police, hit and run, and negligent driving.

Witnesses told police that a man forcibly entered the woman’s car at a gas station in Baltimore about 10 p.m. Wednesday, and drove away with the woman and baby inside.

The car later sideswiped a state police cruiser on Interstate 95, and was chased by police onto Interstate 495.

After the woman and baby exited the car, White pulled over and was arrested.

Maryland State Police Release:

Maryland State Police arrest a Baltimore City man after a reported carjacking in West Baltimore, sideswiping a State Police cruiser and fleeing police on the Capital Beltway.

The accused is identified as Terron Alvin White, 22, of McCulloh Street in Baltimore. White is the driver of the vehicle. He is charged with multiple traffic violations including fleeing and eluding police, hit and run, and negligent driving. Criminal charges are pending in relation to the reported carjacking incident in West Baltimore. White is currently being held at the Rockville Barrack.

The victims are a 24 year old mother and her 20 month old baby of Baltimore. The mother is the registered owner of the vehicle, a black 1995 Lexus GS 300, allegedly involved in the carjacking. She had her 20 month year old baby with her at the time of the incident. Both were treated and released from Suburban Hospital early this morning.

At approximately 10:10 p.m. last night, the Baltimore Police Department received a call for a reported carjacking in the 2800 block of Edmondson Avenue. Witnesses told police they observed an individual forcefully enter a vehicle at a gas station before driving away with a woman and small baby still inside the vehicle. In the process of leaving the location, the suspect reportedly struck at least one other vehicle.

Shortly after 10:30 p.m. a trooper from the College Park Barracks was sideswiped by a speeding Lexus. The trooper was positioned in his marked patrol car with emergency lights activated, on the shoulder of southbound I-95 at Route 212. He was working a double lane closure, construction detail on an overtime assignment for the Inter County Connector.

The trooper immediately activated his emergency lights and siren and began traveling southbound on I-95 in an attempt to pull over the reckless driver. White continued driving at speeds in excess of 100 mph onto the outerloop of I-495 towards Rockville. The trooper radioed a description of the vehicle to Rockville Barrack.

At 10:45 p.m., a trooper from the Rockville Barrack spotted White on the outerloop of I-495 at Connecticut Avenue. After activating his emergency equipment, he attempted to pull the vehicle over, which was now traveling at 45 mph. The passenger door of the Lexus appeared to be hanging open, due to the collision with the trooper on I-95.

White continued to drive erratically, changing lanes, increasing his speed to 60 mph and then slowing down to 10-20 mph, refusing to stop for police. As White continued to swerve across the four lane highway, the mother, while holding the infant, exited the vehicle and rolled out into lane 3 of the highway, just past the Cabin John Parkway.

White finally pulled over onto the shoulder of I-495 less than one tenth of a mile past the area where the two victims left the vehicle. White was immediately taken into custody by troopers from the Rockville Barrack.

Emergency personnel from the Montgomery County Fire Department responded to the scene. The mother suffered a laceration to her head and the baby appeared uninjured. Both were transported by ambulance to Suburban Hospital where they were later released.

The trooper from College Park Barrack was transported to Laurel Regional Hospital for non life threatening injuries. The investigation continues…


Comments are closed.